Wednesday, April 27, 2011

MMMM....almost Cafe Rio Salad

If you know me very well you know that I'm constantly craving a Cafe Rio salad....and it's so far to drive to Orem to get one, so I'm ecstatic that Spanish Fork is getting one soon!
I had a pork roast and decided to shred it in my crock pot.

This is my favorite Sweet Pork Recipe:

Cook Roast in crock pot overnight on low with 2 can's coke. Dump out remaining liquid in the morning.
Shred meat with a fork
Add 1 can of Green Enchilada Sauce
1 can of Red Enchilada Sauce
1 can of green chili's
1-2 cups of Brown Sugar (I prefer 2 but I like it really sweet)
1 can Dr. Pepper

Let cook on low for remainder of the day.
I made my own dressing and pico di galo, and lime rice this time. Took a little time, but so worth it in the end.

For the dressing:
2 cups prepared Ranch Dressing (I used a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch buttermilk mix)
1 small bunch cilantro, large stems removed (about 1/2 cup chopped cilantro)
2 large or 4 small tomatillos
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
2 T Fresh Lime Juice
1 tsp. Green Tabasco Sauce or 1 diced jalapeƱo pepper

Prepare Ranch dressing according to directions on the package or recipe you're following and set aside.

Take Tomatillos and dice them into small pieces, place in a oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes until slightly browned.

Remove large cilantro stems, then wash leaves and spin dry or dry with paper towels. Add cilantro to food processor fitted with the steel blade and pulse until finely chopped. (If you don't have a food processor, I'd chop all ingredients well by hand and then blend dressing in a blender.)

In your food processor or blender combine the dressing and tomatillos with the cilantro, until all the ingredients are finely pureed. Add the 2 cups of prepared dressing and pulse just a few times, until ingredients are well combined. Chill dressing for an hour or two and serve.


Lime Dressing:

I used instant rice where the rice is equivalent to the water and prepared that the way on the box. (I would just make whatever amount suits your family, I used 3 cup rice/3 cup water)

4 tsp. Chicken Bouillon
2 Garlic Cloves (I didn't have any garlic on hand so I used Garlic powder)
1/2 Onion Finely Chopped (I used 1/2 cup of onions from my food storage)
1 Large lime
1/2 Bunch of Cilantro Finely Chopped

I added all my ingredients to the rice after it was prepared and squeezed the juice out of my lime with my juicer.


1 comment:

Amy C said...

Yumm! I LOVE Cafe Rios pork salad, it's the best. I'm going to have to try this recipe one of these days.