Sunday, May 16, 2010

Pico De Gallo




So I'm still on this low iodine diet, so now I'm having to get creative! They do have a low iodine cookbook, but the few recipes I've tried were so BLAH or didn't turn out...I tried making the bread 3 times, ya not one single time did it turn out, so I tried two other recipes not so good either. Nothing works well without dairy so I have decided.



I'd been in the mood for some good Mexican food...post Cinco De Mayo ha ha



I had to make my own tortilla chips (you have to make everything on this diet, including whatever kind of sauces you make, last Sunday I spent the day making Chicken Broth, and ketchup so I could use it in the recipes)



I found Corn Tortillas with no salt, so I cut them into 4 and fryed them in olive oil, then salted them with real salt. Just like eating out!



Pico De Gallo

4 Roma Tomatoes (or 3 can's of no salt added diced tomatoes rinsed off really well)
1/2 Large Red Onion Diced- 1 Onion Depending on your preference
1 Jalapeno Pepper Diced(Omit if you don't want it spicy at all/double if you do want it spicy)
1 Green Bell Pepper (Diced)
2 TBSP of Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 Bunch Cilantro diced up
1-2 Fresh Limes squeeze into mixture
1 TBSP Garlic Powder, or 1 clove garlic pressed into mixture
1 TBSP Non-Iodized Salt

Combine Fresh Veggies, add Apple cider Vinegar, Squeeze in Limes, add Garlic, and Salt.
Put in the refrigerator immediately with a lid on it, usually I like it to sit overnight so the flavors get mixed really well. I too have found this makes a large bowl so it's a great thing to share with neighbors, or you can put it in a freezer jar and it freezes real nice!

No comments: