Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Chicken Broth

So do you ever buy those Rotisserie chickens at Sam's club?  They are such a deal and we can usually get two meals out of them!  We'll usually eat the meat with veggies the first night, then I'll make soup or enchiladas the next, and its way cheaper than buying frozen chicken breast.  I usually take the bones and make my own chicken stock with it.   I usually take whatever is in the bottom of my fridge and throw it in....I was making chicken noodle soup so after I cut the celery I threw the ends in, and the extra carrots, I also had half a onion in there too. 
 
Recipe:
Veggie scraps: celery, carrots, onions etc. Whatever you have throw it in!
Chicken Bones
Water to cover the veggies and bones.
Salt/Pepper
Parsley
Bay leaf
Bring to a boil then let it simmer for three hours.
 

 When its done I strain out the big veggies and meat into a bowl.  Then I get a get some cheesecloth and cover my pan, and strain it again.
 See all the extra stuff you get out.....
 I dump mine into freezable canisters and put in the freezer until I'm ready.

1 comment:

Ryan and Jess said...

Oh my goodness! How did I not k ow you had a blog! This is brilliant! We are on a no preservative, no food coloring diet for a health concern of one of the boys and chicken stock has been one of my problems!! I have been buying it and it's adding up. I'm so doing this!!
Jessica